Monday, February 4, 2008

ON BEING ADDICTED TO COMPUTER GAMES

So, here I am at work, suddenly bored after a very hectic day, and what do I do. You guessed it, I digress to playing Mah Jong Solitaire – my serious internet addiction (especially one lay out that drives me utterly crazy). [My boss doesn’t see and I am fast with the mouse so I can change the screen instantly.]

But, I am thinking, what a complete waste of time, energy and human potential is my addiction to this game. Afterall, one area of expertise that I have is ‘addictions.’ Yes, I counsel addicts as part of my practice and here I am addicted to this game. So, why am I doing this? Isn’t there something more productive I should, could, oughta be doing right now to improve my brain functioning. I could be exercising in my cubicle (if I had the leg room). I could be cleaning my cubbie- now that would be an improvement. But, no…..

“Just one more game and then I’m through,” I say to myself. Then, some 50 games later, I hear myself saying, “just one more game and then I’m off to bed.” At least I don’t have a laptop that I can take to bed with me – a small consolation.

How do I stop this, I ask. NEVER START comes the rip roaring answer. Oh, yes I do stop - eventually. I am able to pull myself away from the computer by the time 5 p.m. roles by, only to find myself going home and being magnetically drawn to the game on my home computer. And at night, as I fall asleep, the images of colorful tiles keep flashing onto my retina making me feel I’m having a strange flashback to the ‘80s (or is that the ‘60s).

I awake renewed, refreshed and swearing not to touch this Solitaire Mah Jong game again – only to tell myself “just one, and I’ll stop.”

And, how is your computer game addiction going????? Comment and let me know.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gepetto said...

Addiction to computer games goes a lot further than a basic addiction to Spider Solitaire or FreeCell.

Many people in the world are addicted to World of Warcraft and Second Life, two MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games) that consume the user much more than Solitaire ever could.

Unlike these basic card games, there is no one to benefit or lose out from you actions except for you. In an MMORPG, success can be a shared emotion. You can also "kill" other players, which while rewarding for you, pains others. It really is its own enclosed social reality.

As such, people find leaving it as painful as moving to a different country -- all of their (online) friends have gone away, they have to go to a less familiar locale, and they really feel socially isolated.

It's no surprise to me that there have been deaths from games like this (several this year in China, resulting from playing for over 72 hours straight without a break or food).

Talk about an addiction.

February 4, 2008 at 5:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home