Monday, August 16, 2010

I'M BACK - COMPASSION FOR CHRONIC PAIN SUFFERERS

IT'S been months since I've written. I have been sick for a good 8 months and it has changed my perception of what chronic pain can do to a person. Most of us want to run to a doctor when we have a pain. We reach for the pain meds, maybe the alcohol, any strong medications - whatever it takes to take away the horrendous and incessant pain away. It works for awhile. At the same time, the mind, mood and relationships that have always been stable have now become something difficult to deal with.
I had a pretty rough time these last 8 months. Got a severe case of Shingles. Shingles is the adult version of chickenpox. If you've had chickenpox, the virus stays in your nerve endings - basically in the spinal column - Then, under certain conditions, i.e., stress being the number one cause, bingo, the virus (herpes zostra or varicalla) gets activated and comes out with a vengeance - giving the unsuspecting victim...SHINGLES! . Other causes for this dastardly disorder are a weakened immune system - many times this is caused by medications. If you are having chemo or radiation, your immune system is weakened and you can easily contract shingles. Aging is also considered a factor, perhaps because it often weakens the immune system.
No matter what the cause, once you've had it, it is unlikely you will ever forget it. It was the most painful thing I ever had. At least, in childbirth, you have something to show for it and the pain ends. With Shingles, the pain does not always end after the blisters disappear. For me, I was one of the unlucky ones and got what is known as Post Herpetic Neuralgia, or After Shingles pain. This pain affects the nerve endings, as does Shingles. And, it doesn't let up. It kept me awake at night. I searched high and low for creams, sprays, pills - anything that would lessen the constant agony. I couldn't work and had to go on disability. I tried - but the medications either knocked me out or the pain did. For a former workaholic, this was an additional torture.
After 8 months, the pain is beginning to subside. It is at least, tolerable and I can write again and now seek work again. The positive side is it made me realize what chronic pain can do to one's psyche. I found myself depressed - losing my sense of humor (an unheard of thing for me - who can always make a joke of something), and unable to function. I laid on the couch, moaned and watched t.v. Pretty boring. It was hard to read and sleeping was so difficult. I would wake up every hour to put something on the area so I could try to get some rest. I lost weight (the only positive) as I had no appetite. Thank heavens for friends and family members who got my medications and tried to humor me. I don't think I could have gotten through the rough patches without them.
Because of the pain, I found myself seriously depressed. I have never really been depressed in my life - a few sad incidences, but nothing like this. One of the medications I took, Lyrica, sent me into a deep depression and I became close to suicidal. When I found out it was a direct side effect of the medication, I stopped it immediately and the depression cleared up in a few days. That was scary. And, the doctors never said anything about this side effect. I had to research this myself. Other medications either did not work or just knocked me out. There was so little to take for this after shingles pain.
Eventually, I found some creams and a wonderful spray at the health store that worked for me. I increased my intake of B vitamins - a must if you have shingles. Took some lysine as well. I found other items for this pain that might be able to help you. If you want to email me, I will respond.
But, a major result of all this is I have gained overwhelming compassion for those in chronic pain for whatever reason And, now, when I treat people in my psychotherapy practice, I am much more attuned to that physical pain and how it takes a toll on your mental health. So, don't be hard on those who have chronic pain. It affects every part of your being.
Be Well!!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home